Fortunes Folly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Staff

Administrators

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dwarf Race change

+4
[Username]
Adrian
Ryandurbur
Zalton
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Dwarf Race change Empty Dwarf Race change Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:11 am

Zalton

Zalton

The dwarves that are described in the race thread are of the sort your would find in the Hobbit or most other fantasy adventures.

In the show they are no larger than a hand or palm. They aren't bright in fact they are gullible, I wouldn't hold people that though. They are suppose to be extrodanarily fast and strong. Despite their size they could out run fast humans (who have longer strides). When crying and throwing a fit Wicca, a dwarf, fist broke the ground and zoro said if she kept it up his bones would break.

2Dwarf Race change Empty Re: Dwarf Race change Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:25 am

Ryandurbur

Ryandurbur

We changed them for a reason. :P

3Dwarf Race change Empty Re: Dwarf Race change Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:21 pm

Zalton

Zalton

Is that mean they are staying that way? If so mind sharing the reason for the change? More importantly if dwarves are staying as written can than their be an alternate dwarf for those who want the smaller speedy chibi version?

4Dwarf Race change Empty Re: Dwarf Race change Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:31 pm

Adrian

Adrian
Founder
Founder

We are using a different version because characters can be made much more easily for this type than the OP type. What you describe and what's used in OP sounds like a brownie in size. Those are harder characters to play, though not impossible. If we had an alternate version, we wouldn't name them dwarves.

5Dwarf Race change Empty Re: Dwarf Race change Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:37 pm

Zalton

Zalton

Harder because they are smaller or the more intricate personality assuming they have to use that typical personality? If its about size being huge is more of a challenge than being small.

6Dwarf Race change Empty Re: Dwarf Race change Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:39 pm

Adrian

Adrian
Founder
Founder

It's the size, really. Plus, not everyone is going to go for the intricate roleplay style it'd require. But, of course it is possible. All it takes is someone to show it can be done, but normally people don't like playing smaller characters like that. From what I've seen, I mean. It's a power thing.

7Dwarf Race change Empty Re: Dwarf Race change Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:31 pm

[Username]

[Username]

Just to make this clear, having such a small character is possible so long as the person using it can show that it's fair and works out with everything? Basically, a player can make this kind of character so long as they balance it out?

8Dwarf Race change Empty Re: Dwarf Race change Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:01 pm

Wulfric Von'Funk

Wulfric Von'Funk

Yeah, I'd say that's fair.

9Dwarf Race change Empty Re: Dwarf Race change Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:33 am

Adrian

Adrian
Founder
Founder

Honestly, I wouldn't call it a dwarf. OP wanted to say brownie-sized creatures were dwarves, and I don't know why. They are Brownies in my eyes, and I'd rather we classify them as a separate race.

10Dwarf Race change Empty Re: Dwarf Race change Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:10 pm

Zalton

Zalton

I didn't know brownie was a creature I thought you were using the food as a size comparison. I mean the author wanted to call it that. I guess the other type just don't exist in OP.

But what they are called doesn't matter to me just what they do.

11Dwarf Race change Empty Re: Dwarf Race change Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:12 pm

Adrian

Adrian
Founder
Founder

Mhm, if anybody wishes to come up with what they think it should be, I oblige you to do so.

12Dwarf Race change Empty Re: Dwarf Race change Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:14 pm

Zalton

Zalton

Ability or name?  If brownie is a creature you think the OP version is based on go with that.  If ability it is simple go with the show.

13Dwarf Race change Empty Re: Dwarf Race change Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:17 pm

Nymeros

Nymeros

Adrian wrote:Mhm, if anybody wishes to come up with what they think it should be, I oblige you to do so.

It could be me, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they weren't even called Dwarves.

I thought they were simply called Tontatta and Little People/Human.
Maybe we can make two different races, dwarves and tontattas?
Miniscule humans and well, Chopper-sized humans.

14Dwarf Race change Empty Re: Dwarf Race change Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:29 pm

[Username]

[Username]

I could bring a quick version of these 'brownies' up with restrictions in the description so they're not so difficult to RP, while not overpowered either.

15Dwarf Race change Empty Re: Dwarf Race change Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:33 pm

Zalton

Zalton

Why is balance and power kept brought up? I must be missing something. They aren't difficult to role play as long as we don't have to adhere to the personalities seen on Green Bit

16Dwarf Race change Empty Re: Dwarf Race change Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:43 pm

[Username]

[Username]

For the same reason we require an RP sample for those who want Logia Fruits or any other 'white-listed' fruit, etc. While they're not inherently overpowered or difficult to RP, given the way they are canonically described, there's potential room for improper use.

The main focus when balance and power is brought up is likely the size of the character (which innately allows for a lot of dodging and/or getting into places other characters cannot) as well as their overwhelming strength and agility. There's no guarantee that people will not try to roleplay as if they had canonical strength and agility, as opposed what is stated in the tier-system (in which people of equal tier are, without outside influences, equal in physical capabilities). Given that, restrictions and explicit statements on these matters should--and quite likely will--be put forth.

17Dwarf Race change Empty Re: Dwarf Race change Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:45 pm

Nymeros

Nymeros

Is this Lorem Ipsum? ^ o-o
Anyhow, do so if you'd like @first post of yours

18Dwarf Race change Empty Re: Dwarf Race change Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:59 pm

Zalton

Zalton

[Username] wrote:

The main focus when balance and power is brought up is likely the size of the character (which innately allows for a lot of dodging and/or getting into places other characters cannot) as well as their overwhelming strength and agility. There's no guarantee that people will not try to roleplay as if they had canonical strength and agility, as opposed what is stated in the tier-system (in which people of equal tier are, without outside influences, equal in physical capabilities). Given that, restrictions and explicit statements on these matters should--and quite likely will--be put forth.

I see what your saying. What I about to say might be a something that could be incorporated into the species. I know the tier system gives guide to ability but it shouldn't be hard line for all species. A giant, human, dwarf (brownie), and fishman should all have different ability (strength & speed not skill) at the same tier. Dwarves being fastest on land, giants and Fishmen equally strong. Fishmen being faster in water while most others are debuffed

19Dwarf Race change Empty Re: Dwarf Race change Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:01 pm

Adrian

Adrian
Founder
Founder

I like brownies though o.o.

I'll let you both do it, and the staff will choose which is best.

As for Fishmen, it depends on their size. They vary just like Giants can sometimes, same with Merfolk. But for the sake of balancing, size doesn't matter as much.

20Dwarf Race change Empty Re: Dwarf Race change Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:54 pm

Kalliope

Kalliope
Founder
Founder

I don't see the need for any sort of change or addition to the dwarf race, unless there an high demand for it. I rather not 'fix/change' something that doesn't need it. (Like Long-Arm race, some races will never be popular).

21Dwarf Race change Empty Re: Dwarf Race change Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:17 pm

Adrian

Adrian
Founder
Founder

We are talking about adding a new race to represent the munchkins in OP

22Dwarf Race change Empty Re: Dwarf Race change Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:26 pm

Argent

Argent

I'm interested in having a dwarf as they are on the show, thats why I brought it up ages ago. But the current version doesn't reflect the show that is why the conversation was started

23Dwarf Race change Empty Re: Dwarf Race change Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:41 pm

Adrian

Adrian
Founder
Founder

The show misrepresents Dwarves. Sure, it's an interpretation, but they are nothing like Dwarves I and many others know. But, that's why I'm offering we make one of the closest thing, Brownies.

24Dwarf Race change Empty Re: Dwarf Race change Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:47 pm

Kalliope

Kalliope
Founder
Founder

Adding in a new race. I don't think we need too unless, once again there a high demand for it. I mean really, how people would actually want to play the OP dwarfs if we did gave them the choice? I'm not against the idea of adding new race, I just don't see the demand for it.

25Dwarf Race change Empty Re: Dwarf Race change Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:48 pm

Adrian

Adrian
Founder
Founder

Kalliope has a point, we don't want to add something useless because something like this needs inspiration as well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum